Updated: Aug 6
This delicious carrot cake never fails. My mother, an excellent baker, made it for local restaurants for many years. It has always been a winning cake and even baking dummies will be delighted with the masterpiece they produce. The oil makes it moist until the last crumb is eaten.
We like to think this cake is almost natural because it contains vegetables - well, that's our excuse anyway.
I make this cake when I miss my mom or on any special occasion.
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 heaped tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarb
3tsp mixed spice
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup crushed pineapple
12 whole pecan nuts
1/4 cup apricot jam
Cream cheese icing
125 g butter
4 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
250g cream cheese
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, bicarb, mixed spice and salt
2. Beat the sugar, oil and eggs until nice and fluffy
3. Mix all the ingredients together
4. Pour into greased baking or cake pan
5. Bake at 180 until golden and a testing stick comes out clean. This cake was made in a baking pan for about 40 minutes in a gas oven.
When the cake is cool, make the cream cheese icing.